Mission: PDX Browncoats provides volunteer assistance and financial contributions to nonprofits that promote equality for men and women, local action, and other ideals espoused in the works of Joss Whedon. We provide social outlets for fans of Whedon’s works because we have learned that socializing is an important step toward activism.
Values: PDX Browncoats have integrated our shared appreciation for the stories of Joss Whedon into our social lives as well as our activism.
“She’s not to be bought. Nor bartered, nor borrowed or lent. She’s a human woman…”
1) We believe that misogyny and inequality have no place in our world.
“…a man learns all the details of a situation like ours, well then he has a choice.”
2) We believe that socialization can and should lead to activism.
“If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right.”
3) We believe that having the courage to do what is needed is more important than the certainty of success.
“When you can’t run, you crawl, and when you can’t crawl – when you can’t do that… You find someone to carry you.”
4) We believe that asking for help is an act of bravery and not a reason for shame.
“You take care of me. You’ve always taken care of me. My turn.”
5) We cultivate both an appreciation of our own place in the world and the desire to improve other’s place in the world.
“Now they see the sky and they remember what they are.”
6) We encourage each other to move outside of our previous comfort zones when action is needed.